A nice fluffy warming vanila delight best served warm, with some apricot jam. Fruity and low fat too!
Ingredients for 10 slices:
- 125g rice
- 2 pints of milk
- pinch of salt
- 100 g sugar
- grated skin of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 10g sultanas
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 50g butter
- few walnut halves roughly chopped
How to make:
A double walled or thick pan comes handy for this recipe as we are boiling milk and it may burn easily.
- Cover the rice with the milk, add the sugar, a little salt and cook it on a gentle heat until the rice is tender. You have to watch and stir frequently if not all the time ;-).
- Add the vanilla essence with the grated rind of one unwaxed lemon, sultanas. Mix well then cover to let it rest and cool.
- With an electric mixer cream the egg yolks and soft butter for a few minutes
- Beat the eggwhites till forms firm peaks
- With a fork loosen up the cold rice pudding and carefully fold in the creamed egg and butter, followed by the spoonful of flour.
- Finally add the beaten eggwhites and carefully fold around till all ingredients mixed evenly.
- Lightly grease a medium cake tin with butter and pour in the souffle mixture distributing evenly, it’s now ready for the oven.
- Bake in a 200C preheated oven for 25 minutes,
- When ready cut into square slices, dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with grated lemon zest, serve with apricot jam and roughly chopped walnuts sprinkled on top.
Here is a close-up, taken in the dark with flash, so it’s a bit hmm..: