Ingredients for 10 slices:
- 125g rice
- 2 pints of milk
- pinch of salt
- 100 g sugar
- grated skin of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 10g sultanas
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 50g butter
- few walnut halves roughly chopped
How to make:
A double walled or thick pan comes handy for this recipe as we are boiling milk and it may burn easily.
- Cover the rice with the milk, add the sugar, a little salt and cook it on a gentle heat until the rice is tender. You have to watch and stir frequently if not all the time ;-).
- Add the vanilla essence with the grated rind of one unwaxed lemon, sultanas. Mix well then cover to let it rest and cool.
- With an electric mixer cream the egg yolks and soft butter for a few minutes
- Beat the eggwhites till forms firm peaks
- With a fork loosen up the cold rice pudding and carefully fold in the creamed egg and butter, followed by the spoonful of flour.
- Finally add the beaten eggwhites and carefully fold around till all ingredients mixed evenly.
- Lightly grease a medium cake tin with butter and pour in the souffle mixture distributing evenly, it’s now ready for the oven.
- Bake in a 200C preheated oven for 25 minutes,
- When ready cut into square slices, dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with grated lemon zest, serve with apricot jam and roughly chopped walnuts sprinkled on top.
Here is another micro picture woo: